Friday 25 February 2011

Shoe Challenge #2, Frocking Friday, and my ruminations on Modesty

First off: yesterday, I had a bit of time to kill before meeting my friends for dinner and it wasn't worth it to head home, so I popped in at a mall I was near that I rarely go to.  And I got some boots.

In my defence: these boots came to $18.50 even including sales tax!  I love buying things out of season. And I've been wanting lace-up boots forever, they have such a Victorian feel.   And I did need comfortable brown boots, they were even on my long-term shopping list!  That actually exists in the sticky notes on my computer: brown boots have just been removed!  These ones have a heel of maybe 2 inches so I'll have no problem walking all over town in them.

In addition to Shoe Challenge #2, it's Frocking Friday.  I actually participated in all of Dressember, wearing a dress every single day for the whole month of December.  It was freezing at times and to be honest, not entirely fun.  Some days I really wanted to reach for some pants.  Nothing is ever as much fun when you have no choice about it, is it?  But now that Dressember is over, I am back to loving dresses and here is my first Frocking Friday.



Dress with pockets! Love that :D
Anyway folks, I wanted to go over the concept of modesty.  I've been thinking about it a bit.  Yesterday I had a bit of a tiff with my mother over my pink dress: she said it was too short and too tight, and I thought that although it was definitely short, and arguably tight, it was balanced by the high neckline and the overall sweet, girly impression of the outfit thanks to the pink and blue.  Not to mention, I was going to see my friends, not to work or anything.  Anyway, I've stopped trusting my mother's opinion on outfit modesty because she also said today's blue dress is too short.  And I think: it's not THAT short at all, the skirt is full, and the neckline is not revealing at all!  I think my mother's idea of modesty is a little off, which means I don't really take her fashion advice with regard to that (sorry Mom! I do listen to her when it comes to issues like makeup and colour mixing!).

So I wonder, how do you know if something is appropriate?  I generally follow a "one feature rule" whereby I try to limit myself to either a low neckline OR a fitted skirt OR a short skirt.  As in, chest, derrière, or legs, but not all.  Obviously if I'm going to church or to see a professor or for a job interview, the rules change.  What does everyone think?

I drink so much tea, it's a bit of a problem ;)

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I found your blog from the Shoe Challenge.
    I like this dress, and I admire that you are even thinking about modesty. So many people these days seem to ignore it completely. You are correct that the rules have to change all the time, depending on the situation. This dress (and it's hemline) work for you because of where you were going and your age. I say go for it. :)

    ReplyDelete